Sunday, June 27, 2010

Riffs: As Irish as Paddy's Pig

X
Pentimento has put up a post featuring some beautiful Irish music, and in the comment box over there I've contributed a couple of others. And this has brought to mind this song that I love almost beyond all others. Once in while, far into a dark Bronx night, my friend Bobby Hackett would bring his guitar down from his mother's apartment down the block, and we would would sing--my drunken Irish friends and I--this song, the beer running down the fronts of our shirts, and the tears streaming down our cheeks. It was always in Huvanes that we sang this song--for some reason, never in the Glenside, my "home" pub. Listen to it, then. And if you can do it without emitting a sob, then there's something drastically wrong wit'yez:



X

4 comments:

Pentimento said...

Rodak, I love this song. I try to post that same video on my Facebook whenever it seems appropriate: Veteran's Day, the day Liam died, etc. etc. You are making me miss my old neighborhood.

Rodak said...

I had no doubt that you would be very familiar with it. I can't believe that it took me this long to go find it. I have not yet developed a YouTube reflex, I guess. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

SINVILLE said...

I have spent a lot of time In Ireland, and I have been to many sessions. They are common at any social gathering from weddings, funerals, to just hanging out. My husband was born there, and his family is still in Cork. Pub life no longer exists, as It did, when I first started to visit at age 21. As a Quebecer, I was wary of the changing culture brought on by the EU money. There is no going back, and what made Ireland Irish is lost. The celtic tiger has died, and I don't see them returning to their roots.

Rodak said...

It's a sad, sad thing.