Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rants: Doubting Thomas?

X
Would Helen Thomas, who has now retired under tremendous pressure, have suffered a similar fate at the hands of pussyfied American liberals if sometime in the early 20th century she had said that the British should get the hell out of India and go home, or later in the 20th century that the French should get the hell out of Indochina and go back to Europe? Helen Thomas was criticizing Zionism, which is a nationalistic, colonialist, political ideology. If you can't make a political statement--especially an unpopular, non-PC political statement--without losing your job, then the First Amendment IS being shredded. What she said is NOT--as has been oft-suggested--analogous to telling African-Americans that they should go back to Africa. The Israelis of European and American origin did not arrive in Palestine in the holds of slave ships, and the Africans who were brought to these shores did not dislodge, disinherit, or dismember either the indigenous people on this continent, or their conquerors.

What Helen Thomas said you can't say in "polite company." But that doesn't make it morally wrong to say it. If you're 200 years old and don't really need the work, I guess you can take the risk and expose the machinations of the thought police permeating the political life of this country. Chalk up another victory for the Likudnik fascists and their American neocon allies.
X
X

6 comments:

SINVILLE said...

I wondered if she knew a camera was present. A person with media experience would not lean into the lens and purposefully distort their features. I am not throwing any stones because I would have to spend the rest of my life ducking!

Rodak said...

To me, it's a constitutional issue. I don't know (or care) whether Helen Thomas is anti-Semitic in her heart of hearts. What she said was political and she should not be punished for it.

SINVILLE said...

I think our views on the cause of HT's dismissal are subject to our own prejudices. I immediately thought the WH and press corps used this opportunity to retire her, avoiding anti-ageism, or anti-sexism backlashes. I understand your point, that free speech is fundamental, but I saw this issue as secondary.

Rodak said...

I think you're right about the perceptions of it being subjective. What you were preoccupied with in the affair hadn't even occurred to me.

SINVILLE said...

I am sure Miss Thomas will write about her sincere perception of her dismissal. I think women are always held to a higher standard in business, and quite possibly in our personal lives. Men continue to offer the 'misspeaks' excuse, and with little repercussion. I regret that she did no leave fighting. It is a lesson for our daughters.
Btw, I successfully deleted a test comment but It would not let me remove my double post (despite the fact, I could see the garbage delete icon). Frustrating, but I am trying to learn! :-)

Rodak said...

I agree that men and women are held to different standards. My guess is that if Helen Thomas were not pushing 90 years of age, she would not have gone out so quietly.