Thursday, April 2, 2020

Rodak's Writings: Ruminations




The following three paragraphs were jotted down, perhaps at different times, on an old spiral-bound notepad that was lying around on a card table that I have in my home office. The second of the three was later used in a poem which I will include at the end of this post. 

These jottings are presented here without revision:


____________________


The essential thing about me, he said, is that I never gave a flying fuck about nature. Living on a cold, dead rock suits me just fine.


___________________


I dress in rags because I don't have to. If I had to, I would go far out of my way not to.

____________________


Nobody seems to realize how old I am. I've always looked young. Since I've gotten old, this has resulted in my receiving comments that I have allowed myself to take as flattering. When I was a young man, however, I usually felt my youthful appearance allowed my elders and/or superiors, to take me less seriously. But now, here I am: closer to 80 than to 65 --well within an age group where many are dying, or already dead.


______________________


Last Gasp

The soul is tried,
the jury still out.
On the empty street
a windblown Times
pursues the man
as if to bite.
Later, at home,
the poisoned air
lounges on his plate,
dares him to dine.
I am not hungry, he lies.
I wear these rags precisely
because I don’t need to.
So throw the key away, he cries.
Just, please, let me breathe.