Monday, October 13, 2008

Riffs: The Boy in the Bubble


X

X

Over the years I made dozens of ninety-minute audio tape mixes which I now play in my car on the way to and from work every day. This morning the second song that came up was Paul Simon's The Boy in the Bubble from the album Graceland, released well over 20 years ago. As I listened with the pleasure Paul Simon tunes always give me, I couldn't help noticing how appropriate the song's opening stanza and chorus are to the world we live in today:


It was a slow day

And the sun was beating

On the soldiers by the side of the road

There was a bright light

A shattering of shop windows

The bomb in the baby carriage

Was wired to the radio


These are the days of miracle and wonder

This is the long distance call

The way the camera follows us in slo-mo

The way we look to us all

The way we look to a distant constellation

That's dying in a corner of the sky

These are the days of miracle and wonder

And don't cry baby, don't cry

Don't cry


Well, okay. Go ahead--cry if you want. WTF.

X