Thursday, January 8, 2009

R.I.P. - Ron Asheton of the Stooges

X
While I knew Jim Osterberg (Iggy Pop) beginning with my junior high school days--he was in my eighth-grade homeroom and my high school AP English class, among other connections (I recently penned a short poem about that relationship)--I can't say that I knew Ron Asheton. I did meet him, because of my friendship with Jim, but I never got to know him. I was, once, in that basement rehearsal room mentioned in the linked obituary, so I can make some claim to having been there in the beginning when it comes to the Stooges, and perhaps, therefore, to what came to be known as punk rock. The Stooges brand of rock music gave new meaning to the word "raw" and Asheton's guitar was a main element of that new sound. It still works for me, in small doses. I'll be taking a small dose tonight.
X