Thursday, January 24, 2008

Interlude: BOYCOTT !!


I’m going to let the Rodak Riffs Express miss the curve, jump the tracks, and roll down the embankment into that miasmic swamp called Politics. Sometimes it's called the Slough of Despond, but for now we’ll keep it simple and call it Politics.

When I got home from work today, there was an envelope in my mailbox with my name and address on the front of it and the return address of the Democratic National Committee on the back. Inside was a questionnaire, and a letter signed by Howard Dean, M.D. I guess I’m supposed to be flattered. Not only do they want to know my MasterCard number, but they also want my advice. Well, listen--here’s my advice, Democrats:

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

I’ve seen enough, already. Hillary Clinton has put me right into the Saul of Tarsus School of Feminism. I’m fully matriculated. Shut yer damn’ trap, kick off them sensible shoes, get yer lard ass out into the kitchen, and bake me some friggin’ cookies, bitch!

As for that political genius, Slick Willie, he’s cashed in his last chip at my table. I held my nose and forgave him for NAFTA. I gave him a pass on Monica. She did snap her thong at him, after all. She did brag about “earning her presidential knee pads.” And she didn’t get the “DNA” cleaned off that blue dress. Sure, he was “weak,” but she was no victim. I thought it was pretty cool when WJC blew his sax on Arsenio, too. Shit, I was easy. All of that said, in the words of the old R&B standard, “I used to love you, but it’s all over now.”

Clinton still has it. He’s still smart. He still knows what it takes to win. But now I’ve drifted—nay, leapt!--over into the camp of the Clinton haters. They’ve been telling me all along that the man was evil. And now I see it. He’s evil. Bill Clinton, “the first black president," has shown himself willing to ride back into the White House perched on the sturdy flanks of his blue-ribbon mare by making a friggin’ pickaninny out of Barack Obama.

Clinton’s seductive rhetoric of disinformation is designed to split the Democratic Party along racial lines--and it’s working. It’s the political war of all against all: Whites vs. Blacks vs. Hispanics. The Clintons are appealing to the very worst aspects of the American character. They are doing it as surely and as shamelessly as any crypto-fascist Republican campaign strategist ever did it before--and I’ve fucking well had it.

I take the Republican field of candidates as a personal insult. The Democrats make me ashamed. Talk about fear and loathing on the campaign trail!

I’m calling for a boycott of the 2008 presidential election. Only a 5% turn-out of eligible voters will ever show these corrupt, amoral bastards that we’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it any more!

If you must go to the polls, vote only for your local candidates and issues. Leave the national portion of your ballot blank. You’ll feel better about yourself in the morning. Trust me.

23 comments:

Mad said...

Jesus, Rob, if I didn't know better, I'd swear I was sleep-blogging on your site. Did someone spit in your Cheerios?

Seriously, I don't need a boycott. "None of the above" has always been my favorite choice, and I won't be voting in November anyway, as I work for a living and contribute useful things to society and my fellow man other than a bullshit ballot.

I do more for the downtrodden by working harder and earning more money to give to charity, than by voting for any of the morons of either party. So I'm wit ya.

I got the same kind of mailer as you, and I thought becoming a registered voter is the worst way to have all your information put on front street for all creeps to steal and use (that and buying a house and being put on your county auditor's site, or filing a bankruptcy). For THAT reason alone, I won't be voting anymore.

The older I get, the more respect I have the Jehovah's Witnesses, Amish, and other groups that shun the idiocy of political races, or the pundits that want to be the ones to try to give the "definitive spin" on what is essentially statist mental masturbation ...

Rodak said...

MS--
No, you don't need a boycott. You have your shit together. It's all the bleating merinos who will persist in doctoring their minds with vacuous spectacle like last night's "debate," and then spend the next two days arguing about who "won" it--they need a boycott.
It's time for a national reality check. And I think that if one shuts up long enough to hear it, there is a faint rumbling up in the peaks, forecasting the avalanche of hurt that is about to come down on the heads of the somnambulant villagers as they doze before those flickering screens, comfy, clueless, and content.
It's a pity that the 'sixties commune movement failed, he said with a sheepish grin.

William R. Barker said...

While I won't be joining your "movement" per se (though as I've often stated, certain match-ups could well lead to me walking into the voting booth and pulling the lever for NEITHER major Party candidate), but I will tell you here and now that your post on your website was very moving.

Yeah, Rob... perhaps now you have a deeper understanding of why I actually re-registered as a Democrat in the Spring of 2006. Sure, not as "extreme" a move as a total boycott, but basically you've just sent the same message to the Dems that I sent (regardless of whether they received it!) (*GRIN*) to the GOP in 2006, namely...

F**K YOU, GOP! Screw you corrupt establisment!

And then on the sliding scale we have RAG, who back in 2003/2004 said F**K YOU, BUSH! but decided to remain a Republican.

You know the problem with ALL of our methods of protest, though, Rob...? They all fair to positively change things - at least in the near term. What's necessary... to my thinking at least...

Well... let's just put it this way: If I outlined the sort of actions which might actually have a chance of changing things in the nearterm in what I considered to be a positive direction... chances are I'd have the FBI, Homeland Security, or the Secret Service knocking on my door. (*RUEFUL SMILE*)

Anyway, Rob... as a guys who has "been there, done that," you do have my sincere sympathies in the matter of being so ultimately betrayed by the Clintons. It sucks to have your worst fears confirmed.

BILL

* Originally posted on RT. Rob... since these are your comments I'll leave it to you whether (or if) you would rather respond on RT or here at your own blog.

Rodak said...

Bill--
The reason I call for a boycott, as I said in my response to MS, is that to participate in the system is to validate the system. It isn't just the Clintons; they are only symptomatic of the underlying disease.
But, hey--I've reached this point before in my fairly long political life, and gotten over it. And maybe I will again. Never say never. Who knows what the future may bring?
But, for now, I'm sitting this one out.

William R. Barker said...

"...to participate in the system is to validate the system."

Hmm... I feel a flashback from the 60's coming on...

"TUNE OUT, TURN ON!"

Something like that anyways... (*SMILE*)

Sorry, Rob, I don't buy it. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem and "tuning out" - boycotting - isn't - IMHO - a viable solution.

"But, for now, I'm sitting this one out."

(*SMILE*) Rob... this is a prediction - and ONLY a prediction - and it may very well turn out to be wrong... but here goes:

Election Day 2007 - Rodak votes Democrat. (*SHRUG*)

The day after... you can tell me how my prediction faired. (*WINK*)

BILL

Rodak said...

Election Day 2007 has come and gone. I stayed home. But never mind that little slip.
I believe that there is no way to fight this system, other than by starving it, shaming it, and announcing why you are doing so.

If you want a little 'sixties analogy: Southern blacks got to ride on the front of the bus not by storming buses and duking it out with the drivers and white passengers, but by walking to work.

William R. Barker said...

Ya "got" me, Rob. (*SMILE*) I hereby admit to a typo. I wrote 2007 when I clearly meant 2008.

(Hey... get this... I initially typed 2009 - NINE - on the correction and had to correct THAT!) (*GRIN*)

So... again... counting on you to share whether you voted or not and for whom come November 20008 - EIGHT - (*GRIN*) I suppose we'll see then whether my guess panned out.

BILL

Rodak said...

Bill--
I don't expect to be voting for prez unless there is a choice that is unknown to us at this point, and has something completely unique to offer.

Kyle R. Cupp said...

Professor Bainbridge has coined a new term for the current crisis:

Electile Dysfunction
n. The inability to become aroused over any of the choices for president put forth by either party in the 2008 election year.

http://www.stephenbainbridge.com/index.php/punditry/electile_dysfunction/

Rodak said...

Kyle--
I truly wish it were that simple. Honest, I do...

An Interested Party said...

I'm sure that cynical politicians are hoping that people like you drop out of the voting process...much better to work with a pool of people who are uninformed and/or uneducated and can be easily swayed by simplistic, emotional appeals...

Rodak said...

AIP--
The way our system works, the same person (or his opposite number, it's 50-50) will win the national election, whether 100 million people vote, or only 1,000. It's the nominating process that counts. And the nominating process is rigged by the wealthy.

An Interested Party said...

Rob, I realize you are boycotting, but I wonder if you have read what your boy Derbyshire has had to say about Obama recently and, if so, what you think of it...

Rodak said...

AIP--
No, I haven't actually. Do you have a link for me?

An Interested Party said...

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OGJjMmMwOWQwMGQ2NTRmYjNiNGI4ZjcwNDQ0ZmY3YjM=

Rodak said...

Thanks, AIP. I've been out of the habit of visiting The Corner regularly for some time.

Rodak said...

I wonder if you have read what your boy Derbyshire has had to say about Obama recently and, if so, what you think of it...

As regards this particular piece, I have to say that I much prefer Derb being funny (if caustic) to Derb being seriously caustic.
As regards Obama's speech, it was stirring to see and hear him deliver it live. As a transcript, it's easy to pick apart as Derb has done. Too easy. He shouldn't have bothered. He really shouldn't've.

An Interested Party said...

In other words, Derb, like just about everyone else at the Corner (especially Jonah Goldberg) should just stick to trying to be funny...they are much better at that...

Rodak said...

That might get me reading them again. Who knows?

An Interested Party said...

Actually, K-Lo's repeated love letters/defense of Mitt Romney are quite hilarious/pathetic things to behold...

Rodak said...

The very idea of K-Lo in heat is enough to send me running to grab a bucket.

Russ Schoneweis said...

I never vote for anyone; I always vote against.
--W.C. Fields, (1880-1946)

Rodak said...

I never vote for anyone; I always vote against.

That's a good line, Russ. And it has fairly often, since 1968, been the option I've chosen--usually by voting for a third party candidate.
I have finally come to the conclusion, however, that to vote at all is to act as an enabler of a system that has been thoroughly corrupted by money.
We need public financing of elections, and true grassroots selection of primary candidates.